Urea nitrate can be used as an explosive munition. It is easy to prepare from nitric acid and urine. It can be detonated with a blasting cap.
- Nitric acid, 90% conc. (1.48 sp. gr.)
- 2 one gallon heat and acid-resistant containers (glass, clay, etc.)
- Filtering material
- Aluminum powder (optional or if available)
- Heat source
- Measuring containers (cup and spoon)
- Water Tape
- Blasting cap
- Steel pipe and end cap (s)
- Field grade (Section I, No. 4) or industrial metal processors
- Animals (including humans )
- Paper towel or finely textured cotton cloth (shirt, sheet, etc.)
- Paint stores
NOTE: Prepare mixture just before use.
1. Boil a large quantity of urine (10 cups) to approximately 1/10 its volume (1 cup) in one of the containers over the heat source.
4. Filter mixture as in step 2. Urea nitrate crystals will collect on the paper.
5. Wash the urea nitrate by pouring water over it.
6. Remove urea nitrate crystals from the filtering material and allow to dry thoroughly (approximately 16 hours).
NOTE: The drying time can be reduced to two hours if a hot (not boiling) water bath is used. See Step 5 o: Section I, No. 15.
HOW TO USE:
1. Spoon the urea nitrate crystals into an iron or steel pipe which has an end cap threaded on one end.
2. Insert blasting cap just beneath the surface of the urea nitrate crystals.
NOTES: This explosive can be made more effective by mixing with aluminum powder (can be obtained in paint stores) in the ratio of 4 to 1. For example, mix 1 cup of aluminum powder with 4 cups of urea nitrate.
Confining the open end of the container will add to the effectiveness of the explosive.